Monday, September 3, 2012

Reference. Film. Eyes Wide Shut. (1999)

I've never watched a film by Stanley Kubrick before and since this is the first film I watched by him, I would like to recommend it to people who is fond of intense experiential films where every little detail has been thoroughly thought and planned out. Personally, I find the movie exciting and actually very appealing since the movie engenders my curiosity throughout. I always find myself questioning what would happen next and etc. Somehow it is hard to foreshadow what would happen in this film. Personally, since the beginning of the film, I find it really odd how Kubrick introduces the character indirectly through their characteristics where they attend the event and both Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman were very peculiar in their behavior in terms of love affairs and etc. I find that scene very intriguing since it makes me wonder how their relationship is like. I like how in each scene there are the sound of the piano playing throughout because I think it matches with the holiday spirit that is carried throughout the movie. The music also sounds mysterious at times. The scene that I was intrigued by the most is the scene where Tom Cruise enters a private event in a large mansion. That scene gives me the feeling anxiety and suspense with great curiosity since even with all the characters wearing masks, it is difficult to tell their facial expression, but with their gestures and postures (and also the help of their mask expression), you can what each character is about. Somehow, you still understand the movie and know that something will definitely go wrong in that particular scene. Lastly, I also like how this movie has a psychological spin to it since the relationship between the two protagonist is extremely odd and sometimes confuses us audience. Overall, I enjoyed the movie and I look forward to more movies giving such intense experience as this one.